Saturday, January 30, 2016

My Connections to Play

When I was younger my Barbie dolls were my
EVERYTHING!! Rather I had lots of company or none at all,
my Barbies kept me entertained for hours  



“Children need the freedom and time to play. Play is not a luxury. Play is a necessity.” -Kay Redfield Jamison

As I shuffle through the memories of my childhood, simply the idea of playing as a child brings me so much joy. I remember the care free times in my life when my biggest worry was trying to persuade my mom to allow me to stay up past my 9:30pm bedtime or choosing my clothing on my own. 

I think about playing hide and seek with lots of cousins and neighborhood friends, to random water fights with my dad when my mom was away at work and playing so many different made up games. Those times, those laughs, those memories have fueled me in my own adult life with my own family, to never forget to laugh. Even when life seems to be overwhelming and your heart and mind seems full, a good laugh is always exactly what the doctor ordered.


I used my bike, upside down, for transportation. The front tire 
was my steering wheel and with the right amount of imagination
 it could be any type of car I would like, a princess carriage even.

My biggest issue with today’s generation is that though technology is great, it has handicapped our children in many ways. So many children now consider fun as sitting in front of the television and playing video games or stuck in front of a screen of some sort on social media websites. So many children have no idea of what it means to use their imagination and it is very unfortunate. When I consider the places that one can go and the things that one can do simply by using their imagination, I want that for the children that I encounter because the possibilities are endless.

In my own home, I try my hardest to promote activities that ignite creativity within my children as well as my nieces and nephews when they visit. Fortunately, my husband and I are on the same accord on our idea of having a good time with family. Family quality time is priority to us. The children in my family love visiting my home because they say that we’re always doing something. On nice days, we get out and have impromptu baseball and football games, make up creative obstacle courses and random competitions. It will be those memories that we create that last long after we have departed from this earth.
 
 

My radio was great for karaoke though it only played the radio, some stations
clearer than others, and cassette tapes. I could use the music to sing on the Apollo,
in the choir, or even pretend to be my favorite artists Mya or Christina Aguilera.





“And at the end of the day, your hair should be messy, your feet dirty and your eyes sparkling.” -Shanti


1 comment:

  1. I relate to a lot of your memories you said as a child. Also with the fact that Barbie was my life as well. I couldn't agree more with the fact that technology has taken over in a major way in young kids. I discussed a little about it In my own post and it is so true, but I also starts with us adults as parents and educators. We have to take that responsibility to limit the technology use it doesn't have to be cut out completely because it is something children will need to learn. It just shouldn't be a replacement for their actual interactive play with children and outside play. It is great that you try to promote activities that are creative got your own children and nieces and nephews. It has to start somewhere and that's a great place. Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete