Sunday, August 14, 2016

Welcoming Families from Around the World

The child joining my group has emigrated from Haiti with his family. I have heard a lot about the country of Haiti, some good and some bad. Nevertheless, I am excited to learn all that I can about the country before my new child and his family arrives. I do not have any firsthand information on the country, so I have got to do my research.
I plan to read a few articles from credible resources on the country in itself. From the article, I will be able to gather information regarding current issues in Haiti. With that information, I may be able to better understand my family, and some of the hardships they may have encountered. I will also be able to better guide my conversation with the family, because I will know which topics to steer clear of due to sensitivity. In addition, I will be able to learn about the school system in Haiti and from that information work to make the student’s transition, as well as the parents, as smooth as possible.
From the credible resources, I plan to learn about the native language, holidays, etc. where I can check out books from the local library regarding those topics specifically. By doing so, I can make direct reference to those holidays and use a few common terms from time to time. By showing the new child, and his family, that I am making an effort to learn most about their country of origin, it will help to begin the foundation for a healthy relationship.
Next, I have a few friends and church members who have traveled to Haiti on mission work. I plan to speak with those people who have visited Haiti and have firsthand experience with the country. From them I plan to gather more upfront, non-sugar coated descriptions of the parts of the country that they have witnessed. They may have picked up a song or two that they may be willing to share that I can then sing for the child. I’m sure that would truly remind him of happy times back home. It would also help to promote our relationship because he would then feel as though we have something in common.
In my spare time, I will view blogs of people that have traveled to Haiti. This process will provide even more candid information on the country and what is to be expected. I may even be able to pick up on culture and traditions that stand out, but other may have failed to mention. The more resources and different perspectives, the better.

Lastly, I’m going to be sure to read over current course materials in addition to simply implementing what I have learned in the course thus far. With the information, I will be able to strategize the best approach for making sure the child and his family are comfortable within my classroom and the center overall. 

1 comment:

  1. Altrenia,
    I too chose to research and learn more about the country of Haiti. I plan to gather as much information as I can on the families through good accurate resources. The section of the city where my early learning center is, have many Haitian families who reside there. Unfortunately, I do not know a lot of information on their background culture. However, by researching and learning more on the culture, we can service the children and families as best as we can.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Jamillah

    ReplyDelete