Friday, October 7, 2016

Team Building and Collaboration, Part I

As I think of the adjourning phase of groups, the thought of leaving a job comes to mind. Regardless of the field of work, when you work for a corporation, organization or whatever, you work as a part of a team. When a person has to leave that team for whatever reason, unless it is abrupt, there is an adjourning phase. Thus far in my life, I have had about five different jobs, currently employed with the fifth. For each job I had stayed for at least 2 years, sometimes overlapping. Each time that I left a job for one reason or another, I was able to provide notices well ahead of time, rather it was relocating or finding a better paying position. With each group, there was an adjourning phase and within that phase there was a termination ritual of some sort. In one case where we gathered to celebrate our achievements and relationships developed during our time together, my job through me a surprise going away party. I had worked within the Health Services program of my college since late in my freshman year of school and throughout college. During that time, I made a lot of life long lasting relationships. As the youngest employee within the office, I was able to take in a lot from the people around me. Working within the program was a great overall experience and I hated leaving, but I knew it was time to spread my wings. It was really hard to leave this group in particular, but they were very supportive and we all kept in touch well after I left, even up to now. The adjourning phase was necessary for this situation, because during out termination ritual, I was reassured that they had my best interest at heart. They were able to provide words of encouragement and shed light on the skills and assets they felt I brought to the table, which helped to build my self-confidence.

2 comments:

  1. Altrenia,
    I just wanted to say that I had a wonderful time learning and interacting with you over the past year. You have shared a lot knowledge, and I have gained plenty of insight that I will use in my future endeavors. We have all come a long way, and I want to wish you a very successful educational, and professional future.
    ~Jamillah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jamillah!! I pray the same for you!! Take care!

      Delete