Saturday, February 18, 2017

The Sexualization of Early Childhood

Unfortunately, I have encountered a few incidents that have resulted from premature exposure to sexualization of early childhood. Within my first year of working with Preschool, I had a little boy draw a picture and smirk as he tried to quietly explain to a friend that he was drawing a bed so they could have sex. The comment really caught me off guard. I felt that he knew that the term was inappropriate because he understood that it was not something that he should say aloud.  I had to explain to the little boy that the term “sex” was not something that we talked about at school. At departure, I explained to his mother what he had said in hopes that we were able to address the situation and ensure that we did not have to address the situation again. It is such a difficult situation because I really did not know how to approach the mother without her feeling as though I was accusing her of doing anything wrong or making her feel bad as a parent. She explained that the term probably came up from her older son that she was having trouble with and she would be sure to address the situation.

Just recently, I took my daughter to see the movie “Sing.” At one point in the movie, three small bunnies, turned their backsides to the camera and began to “twerk.” Of course everyone in the theater though the idea to be funny, even my own daughter was extremely tickled. Though entertaining, it struck me as odd. It made me think of other children movies that expose children to different types of sexualization. I’m not sure where movie productions began being comfortable with so much sexuality in children genre families, but each year is gets worse and worse. I have had the discussion before with colleagues and some feel as though the children’s movies add brief adult moments within the movies to keep the parents’ attention as they watch the movies with their children.  Either way though, I feel as though it’s inappropriate and expose children to things they should not be exposed to so early. 

3 comments:

  1. Altrenia!

    I am so excited I was not the only one who saw that part in the movie and thought, "What the heck?!" Just because they are bunnies doesn't mean the message that "sexy" sells is hidden from our littles. I have noticed a troubling trend in cinema where actual children's animation (movies) fall into two categories, one where it is so overly simplistic and quite frankly stupid, and the other filled with such adult innuendo, it is more a grown up film! I guess as early childhood practitioners it is up to us to find a safe place for children to land if and when they are exposed to "too much, too soon".

    Fantastic post!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious to know how did the parent react when you told her about the situation? I've had something similar to happen in my class and when I mentioned the situation to parent she told me I was lying on her child and we had a conference to view the camera. Once reviewed she apologized and came with a cry that she doesn't know where he's learning those kind of behaviors from. I stand strongly on "We are our kids First teachers".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Altrenia,

    I also saw that part in the movie and was like, "WHOA"! I guess children movies have to entertain adults now, but I think its weird that they exposed things to children that they may not be ready for. It is so important that early childhood teachers expose children to positive things.

    ReplyDelete