Saturday, July 9, 2016

My Family Culture

       I would hope that I would never have to uproot my family and move to a foreign country. Moving to a place where the culture is unknown and we would not have any idea as to what we would be waking into would be terrifying. In the case of an extreme emergency though, which is not too far fetched from the current state of America, I would be willing to move in the case that my family were able to remain together as stated.
      I had to think long and hard, but if I could only take three things to describe my family culture, those three things would be: a small piece of tree bark, family bible, and handmade quilt.
I would explain that the tree bark is from the tree my father and I planted when we moved into our first home. When we initially planted the tree, the tree was smaller than myself and I had to be about six years old. Now that I am grown, with a family of my own, the tree has grown to be huge. The tree has become a centerpiece of our lives. We have used the tree for everything from base for games of hide and seek, a parking marker, to a shield during stormy weather making it to and from the house, the tree has been shade during family functions and always a great conversation starter. This tree is a part of my family culture because it has become such a huge part of our lives and it brings back memories of my family, and our time spent together. This tree reminds me of how important it is for my family to gather in love, the importance of unity and uplifting one another even in the hardest of times. The tree bark will symbolize my family’s strength.
       I would take with me our family’s bible. Our bible will represent our family’s religion as well as the strength of our faith. Our bible will serve to remind me that even when I get weak and want to give up, to remain steadfast and headstrong. Also in the bible are personal notes from the family members who have owned it. Those notes will serve as personal motivation for me as I try to survive and uplift my family’s culture in country completely different from my own.

       Lastly, I would take with me a handmade quilt passed from generation to generation. This quilt is important because it has contains culture far beyond my time. The quilt will serve as a constant, visual reminder of the comfort my family and our culture brings simply because it is all that I know.
      If I could only keep one item from the three, I would probably go with the bible. I would go with the bible simply because the bible and the personal entries would make me feel as though my family was speaking directly to me and pushing me through my journey of life as I adjust to a new country.
       As I thought about my family and our culture, it was difficult for me to choose items that would remind me of our culture. The idea of the tree made me somewhat emotional because it represents so much for my family and our culture and though I knew that to some extent previously, I didn't realize to what extent.

5 comments:

  1. Altrenia,
    I loved reading how strong your family roots are. Having a quilt that has been passed down from generation to generation, is something I know you and your family cherish very much. Having your family’s quilt with you, would always be a reminder of the rich culture your family comes from. Just like you, I too would bring my family Bible with me. I believe having a Bible by your side and keeping your faith, will help get you through the catastrophic events happening in your life.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Jamillah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved reading your story that has many chapters to building such deep embedded 'roots.' I found the tree bark to be such a great physical reminder of the memories you would be taking with you as well as the quilt that has built many memories over the years. And as you, I find the Good Lord to be the center piece of making it through absolutely everything no matter how tough the situation. Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Altrenia-
    I really enjoyed reading your post and the items that are most meaningful to you. I particularly think the tree bark is unique, sentimental, and creative. I love that you have a connection to something you did when you were young with your father, and would have that to show others and share with them. What an amazing yet significant symbol of strength among you and your family.
    Thanks for sharing,
    Julie Ringle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Altrenia,

    I felt that I was there at your home, as you described all of the memories that were shared, as it relates to the tree that was planted, when you were just a child. To bring a piece of the tree would definitely provide great sentiments concerning your family heritage.

    Interestingly, by doing this particular exercise concerning culture, have caused me to reminiscence about so many things that have occurred in my life, especially my childhood. Moreover, thanks for sharing such a heart-felt story about your family history, and the items that help enrich your family.

    Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Altrenia,
    I love the symbolism of the tree bark. When you first wrote about it, I was interested to hear the reasoning for it. It was quite sentimental. I could picture how the tree grew with you throughout the years and provided you with many memories and stories to share.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete